TikTok has flown through the roof with over 3 billion downloads, making it the most downloaded non-game app on Google Play and the App Store in 2021. It has finally reached the same popularity status that only four other social media platforms, namely Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp, have achieved.
Billions of users around the world are on the short video app avidly watching creative videos from millions of content creators. There is so much potential in this large audience base. That is why big brands, like Nike, are on it as well. And you should be, too.
If you don’t have a social media marketing strategy on TikTok yet, then we’ve got you covered. We’ll teach you how to use TikTok for business and discuss the various benefits of using the platform, and when you’re done check out our other TikTok guides:
- What Is Tiktok? Everything Marketers Need Know
- What Is a Good Engagement Rate on TikTok and How to Calculate It
- How TikTok Sees Inside Your Mind
- What Is Influencer Marketing: How to Develop Your Strategy
Table of Contents
Why TikTok is Good for Businesses and Brands?
The billion-user platform is a metaphorical fruit tree waiting to be harvested. The platform is ripe with users around the globe that are within reach. To give a more convincing argument of why brands should be on TikTok, here’s a deeper look into the platform’s environment.
Large User Base
TikTok just celebrated the milestone of having over 1 billion active monthly users back in September 2021. This puts the video platform high up in the league of popular social networking sites like Facebook and Instagram.
After the banning of the TikTok app in India in 2020, it took away over 2 billion users. But with the continuous output of creativity on the platform, it still managed to get back on its feet and gain more avid followers over time.
This epic comeback of the company is a testament that the viral video craze is here to stay. Brands and businesses should definitely tap into this ever-growing market. You will absolutely never run out of the audience on this platform.
The largest demographic of TikTok users and viewers fall in the age range of 9 to 29 years old. This is the age when humans are very impressionable. They are easily and heavily influenced by what they see. And every day, they spend hours watching short videos on TikTok.
Watching influencers’ videos on TikTok makes them want to emulate those stars and even dream of becoming TikTokers themselves. The viewers will buy the same clothes and accessories their TikTok idols are wearing. They will even unconditionally trust the brands that are being endorsed by these influencers.
This type of captive audience is the perfect target of businesses and brands. If you want to build a loyal customer base, then it is time to get in on the hype.
Huge Consumer Spending
Just because the average viewer on TikTok is young, doesn’t mean they don’t have the spending capacity of the older population. It’s quite the opposite, in fact. Gen Z has the tendency to spend their money frivolously.
The younger generation has developed a keen fascination for popularity and social acceptance. They will spend their hard-earned money on consumer products that social influencers are rocking, thinking that these will make them cool and hip as well.
In fact, the company has reported over $2.5 billion in gross revenue just from consumer spending. This places TikTok among the highest consumer spending platforms with the likes of Netflix, YouTube, and Tinder.
So, brands that are looking for more customers and sales are now flocking to the platform. Don’t be left out, take part in this incredible opportunity to grow your business.
Small Brands and Start-Up Business-Friendly
TikTok may be home to big brands, but it’s also where once unknown content creators became stars. Thanks to the platform’s algorithm, everybody gets a chance to be seen by its users. And if your content constantly gets tons of engagement, you will have a wider audience and more exposure.
Collaboration with Shopify
TikTok has recently partnered with Shopify, one of the leading eCommerce sites on the internet. This partnership lets businesses integrate their shop marketing campaign on the TikTok platform. More on this later in another section of the article.
How to Use TikTok for Business: What Steps to Follow?
Growing a brand might seem daunting at first. But, with the help of this guide, you’ll be on your way to the top in no time. We’ll teach you how to make money on TikTok just like the successful brands and social influencers on the site. Here’s how:
Create a TikTok Business Account
Just like on other social platforms, having a business account gives you access to marketing tools and analytics that will help you in creating your digital marketing strategy.
Create a business account for your brand by following these steps:
1. Join TikTok
TikTok is mainly created for mobile, though it can be accessed on a computer’s web browser. As such, you can easily create an account right on your mobile device.
Download and install the TikTok app on your mobile device.
Open the app and tap “Me” in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Tap “Sign up” to create your account. You can use your phone number or email address or sign up using an existing social media account of your business.
If you already have a personal profile that you would like to use, simply convert it by following the next steps.
2. Create Your Business Account
On the app, go to the “Me” page and tap the three dots located in the top right corner.
Tap “Manage account” and then choose “Switch to Business Account.”
Next, select the appropriate category that describes your business accurately. This will help the platform in sending you customized content.
Add your business website to your profile info.
3. Set Up Your Business Profile
Choose a username – Your username can be the same as your brand name. Just make sure that it is catchy or easy to remember.
Upload a great profile photo – Your profile picture is the face of your brand that users will see first. Choose a photo or brand logo that is clear, in high-definition, and can easily be identified even when displayed as a small icon. The recommended photo size is 200 x 200 pixels.
Write an interesting bio – Make it fun and quirky to fit the taste of the young audiences on the platform. You can also put your business objectives to let people know why they should support your brand. It’s limited to 80 characters, so be concise.
Include your business link – TikTok does not have the option for clickable links in the videos. What you can do is to put your eCommerce or Shopify URL in the bio section of your profile.
Link Your TikTok Channel to Your Shopify Store
Popular content creators all have special merch that they sell to their followers. It is one of the many ways to earn an income online. In fact, merch sales comprise a huge chunk of influencers’ earnings.
Fortunately, TikTok has made it easy for brands and influencers to sell their products. The integration of Shopify and TikTok is a match made in heaven. Get yourself a piece of this heaven by linking your TikTok and Shopify accounts.
Follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Shopify store account on a web browser. If you don’t have one yet, you can start a 14-day trial for free to see if it works for you.
- Open the Shopify app store.
- Search for the TikTok app and click on it.
- Install the app to your shop by clicking the Add app button.
- On your Shopify dashboard, look for the TikTok channel.
- Choose “Link accounts” and connect your TikTok business account to your Shopify account.
Get Your TikTok Verified
The blue verification badge is a status symbol that is coveted on the platform. TikTok reserves the right to award this badge to exceptional content creators on their site. You cannot apply for it. It can only be earned through your hard work and dedication.
Here are some guidelines on how you can potentially get a verification badge. You will need to:
- Have a huge following – Having many followers is a sure sign that a lot of people love your brand.
- Be unique – People get tired of the same old recycled content and host on the internet. Create your own brand character that will stand out from the rest.
- Have tons of engagement – Your posts should get tons of profile views, video views, comments, likes, and shares to get noticed. It proves that you have real followers that love your content. This definitely gets you under the radar of the site algorithm. The TikTok team will surely consider giving you a badge if you get consistently high engagement rates together with the fulfillment of their other requirements.
- Be featured in the media – Nothing gets you that blue badge faster than getting featured in another media promotion. TikTok loves exposure. If you get highlighted as a TikToker on other platforms, the attention you and TikTok get is multiplied. The TikTok team will certainly acknowledge your efforts of getting recognized.
- Follow the site’s rules and regulations – Just like on any other platform, you need to follow community rules. This also means no cheating on the followers and engagements count.
Once you get your blue tick badge, you can wear it proudly on your profile. It lets people know that the video content you produce is of top-notch quality. This also lets users know that your account is legitimate and not just a copycat trying to smooch off of your popularity.
Upload Interesting Content
Marketing on social media sites is all about making content to promote your brand. These visual promotions let your audience get to know your brand and your products. The most effective ones are videos that catch audiences’ attention and generate engagement.
Here are some tips to create content that could go viral:
- Videos that get watched until the end go higher up on the algorithm and will be shown to more users. Create videos that are 7 to 13 seconds in length. Make sure it’s engaging to encourage viewers to watch until the end. You can create longer content as your popularity grows.
- Get on the hype train and create challenge videos. Popular ones are dance challenges and song lip-sync challenges. People love watching these types of videos, plus your uploads will have a wider audience from using the popular challenge hashtags.
- Partner up with popular influencers. Your brand will get a lot of exposure with this method. Also, you will receive the trust of the influencer’s followers because they respect and trust their idols.
- Not all uploads on your account need to be authentic content. Take Nike’s business strategy as an example. They have encouraged millions of users to upload their user-generated content as they feature Nike products. Nike just told users to include their brand hashtags in the post. It’s basically free marketing for Nike and also provides social proof that their brand is popular.
Monitor Your Business Growth
Create more effective content with the help of the platform’s built-in analytics tool. You can constantly check your post engagements to see which ones work and which ones don’t. Post those types of videos that receive a lot of likes and positive comments.
Run Sponsored Ad Campaigns
If you have the budget to boost your brand in front, you can avail yourself of TikTok’s influencer marketing campaigns for your business. Get detailed data and audience insight from your sponsored posts.
- Effective Social Media Advertising and Brand Management - October 2, 2023
- Boosting Social Media Engagement: Strategies and Solutions - October 2, 2023
- Mastering Social Media Reputation & Damage Control - October 2, 2023