TikTok is huge and everyone knows it. TikTok is the wave of the future and the best thing about it is that TikTok is here, TikTok is now.
The TikTok platform has seen the fastest growth of any social media platform. Since its release in 2016, it has now garnered 1 billion monthly active users by late 2021. Other popular social media apps took at least a decade to attain the growth TikTok has reached in a few years!
With this kind of public usage, it is no wonder a lot of TikTok stars make their mark and make quite a living on the platform. We are talking of incomes of millions of dollars just through TikTok and endorsements their TikTok accounts get them.
To reach the level that the most popular TikTok accounts in 2022 possess, you will have to master your TikTok analytics. This data will be a dependable basis for what decisions you make in using TikTok for business.
This short article will be your definitive guide to using TikTok analytics as a tool for positive TikTok growth, and when you’re done check out our other TikTok guides:
- What Is Tiktok? Everything Marketers Need Know
- What Is a Good Engagement Rate on TikTok and How to Calculate It
- How TikTok Sees Inside Your Mind
- What Is Influencer Marketing: How to Develop Your Strategy
What Is TikTok Analytics?
TikTok analytics is a native, in-app measurement tool for keeping track of a range of metrics about content exposure on TikTok.
Byte Dance, TikTok’s mother company, has set in place this creator’s tool to help TikTok business accounts analyze their audience to have a profitable time on their platform.
TikTok analytics display statistics such as follower count, follower demographics, video analytics, and profile overview. Being privy to all these metrics makes for a better strategy in posting videos to TikTok.
As a creator, the problem of what content to post next is one of the most demanding challenges you face every day. TikTok analytics makes creative life much easier by giving you detailed insights into which kind of TikTok videos you should continue to post for your followers.
Being aware of the performance metrics and engagement metrics of your TikTok videos gives you a better picture of the path your TikTok should take.
With the right use of your TikTok analytics, you can combine the insights of TikTok analytics and your brand’s unique style to reach your TikTok’s full potential.
Who Can Have Access to TikTok Analytics?
Not everyone on the TikTok platform can have access to TikTok analytics. You have to be on a TikTok Business account to access the TikTok analytics feature. To do that, you should convert your regular TikTok Personal account to a TikTok Business account.
How Do I Convert to a TikTok Business Account?
Only by converting to a TikTok Business, you will be able to gain access to TikTok analytics. Here are the steps on how to convert your TikTok Personal account into a TikTok Business account:
1. Log in to your TikTok Personal account on your mobile phone.
2. Tap on your Profile icon in the bottom-left corner of your phone’s screen.
3. Tap on the 3 Lines menu icon in the top-right corner of your phone’s screen.
4. Tap on Settings and Privacy on the following pop-up menu.
5. On the following Settings and Privacy menu, tap on Manage account.
6. On the Account Control Section on the next menu, tap Switch to Business Account.
7. Concur with being a Creator or a Business by selecting an account type.
8. Select the category that best describes your account.
9. You can now have access to TikTok Analytics.
Note that a new account with no video posts will not yet have metrics of TikTok analytics. You will naturally have to post videos to see how they are doing with your target audience.
How to Check Analytics on TikTok
Now that your TikTok account is a new TikTok Business account, you will have access to TikTok analytics with just a few clicks. You can do this through a desktop computer or a mobile phone.
Here is a compiled list of steps on how to see TikTok analytics on Desktop or mobile:
Check TikTok Analytics on Desktop
1. Log in to your TikTok account on any internet browser.
2. Hover your mouse cursor over your Profile.
3. Click on Business Suite on the menu that pops up.
4. Click on Analytics on the next screen that loads.
5. You will now see your engagement metrics, follower statistics, and will see live video data, too.
Check TikTok Analytics on Mobile
1. Access your TikTok account on your mobile device.
2. Tap on the Profile icon in the lower-left corner of your mobile screen.
3. Tap on the 3 lines menu located in the upper-right corner of your mobile screen.
4. Tap on the Business suite on the menu that follows.
5. Tap on Analytics.
6. You will have a view of the analytics dashboard displaying an overview of your account’s performance, content metrics, follower statistics, and live video engagement numbers.
Overview, Content, Followers, and LIVE: The 4 Categories of TikTok Analytics and What They All Mean
The analytics section of your TikTok Business account concerns itself with four important aspects of your TikTok account. These four key metrics represent the facets that your TikTok account should be doing good at.
This section will discuss the significance of each category, so you can enrich your strategies in making your TikTok account more profitable.
TikTok itself recommends that you check out TikTok analytics on your computer for a better analytics experience.
1. Account Overview
As the name implies, the Overview section of your TikTok analytics gives you an overview of how your TikTok account is performing.
By default, the Overview gives you your engagement overview of the last 7 days. You see how many video views you get, how many Profile visits you garner, your overall likes, the number of comments on all posts, and how many times your posts were shared.
With just a few clicks, you can change your Overview scope of statistics to 28 days, 60 days, or even pick out a custom timeframe you wish to see your Overview figures.
When accessed through a web browser, the Overview is presented in a neat graph form for you to see how your TikTok is performing. You can also download this data for further study.
Account Overview sub-categories explained further:
- Video views – This displays the number of views all your videos got in the specified number of days. Views are counted from followers and non-followers alike. Video views also have a feature that displays the percentage of growth your views have garnered.
- Profile views – This number shows you how many people have visited and checked out your TikTok profile in the specified time frame. Views from non-followers are also counted.
- Likes – Shows how many likes you get in the specified time frame.
- Comments – This shows how many comments you get in the specified time frame.
- Shares – This shows how many times your videos are shared in the specified time frame.
This category of analytics shows you how many total posts you have on your TikTok account. You can scroll through the list of posts to review a video you have posted in the past. This is especially useful if you want to see which of your particular posts have done well or poorly.
This category also displays which among your video posts have gone viral. You can also create a post directly from this part of TikTok.
All data from the content category can also be downloaded for off-app compilation.
This category displays a graph of the number of followers you have garnered since starting your TikTok account. This also shows you a growth rate of how well your TikTok account is followed by other TikTok users.
The category also gives you personalized insights on which gender, territories, and follower activity your followers come from. This is especially important if you want to fine-tune your marketing campaign to target a specific demographic.
All data in this category is also downloadable for off-app use and compilation.
Followers sub-categories explained further:
- Gender – This statistic will display how many of each gender follow your TikTok account. Your pool of followers is analyzed to reveal a breakdown of how male, female, or non-binary people follow your TikTok account.
- Top territories – This statistic breaks down the distribution of your followers by territory/country.
- Follower Activity – This statistic shows you what times your followers are most active on TikTok.
Note that TikTok gives you more insight into these sub-categories upon hitting 100 followers.
This section of your TikTok analytics contains statistics about all your live video postings on TikTok in the last 7 days. You can also set your LIVE stats to view your video posts in the last 28 days.
LIVE also displays your Unique viewers, the Diamonds you have received, your Gifters, and the New followers you got from your live videos. All data in this category is also downloadable for off-app use and compilation.
Interpreting Your Metrics: What Do Your Analytics Mean?
The metrics on your TikTok analytics are not just numbers but are data to be used to plan your next steps in your TikTok account’s growth.
In general, positive numbers in any of your analytics mean that your TikTok is doing well. But interpreting your numbers to forecast what to do next is where the challenge lies.
Here is a list of tips on how to make your analytics work for you:
1. Focus on your strengths
Focus on replicating the success of your more popular posts. Videos with more likes, views, comments, and shares are more popular for a reason. Perhaps the content on these videos is more relatable to your audience, hence the success. Try posting new content in the style of your more popular videos.
If you are more popular with a specific gender, consider posting videos that are appealing to that specific gender.
If your followers are active at a specific time, make it a point to post new videos when your followers are also active.
2. Take note of trends on your TikTok analytics
The numbers on your TikTok analytics are numbers that are trying to tell you something. Be attentive to what these numbers are seeking to say, and you will reap the rewards of a more successful TikTok account.
Do less of what garners you fewer numbers and more of what gives you more likes, views, and general engagement.
3. Post videos consistently and regularly
The more posts you have, the more data TikTok analytics can interpret for you. The more data you have, the easier it is for you to strategize your approach.
You will also have more reliable analytics if the volume of your TikTok video posts remains at a consistent level throughout the year.
4. Do more Live videos
Going live on TikTok creates another level of connection with your target audience. Live videos are a more intimate type of content that makes followers feel included and convert new viewers to follow you.
Furthermore, live videos will give you a separate revenue stream through Diamonds, which are TikTok’s virtual currency that viewers can gift you on your live videos. Diamonds can be converted to real-life cash when you have accumulated at least an equivalent of $100.
5. Download your data
Download all your TikTok analytics data regularly onto separate storage. This is for you to have a clear record of your performance throughout your TikTok career.
Be Thankful for TikTok Analytics
TikTok analytics is a free tool that all TikTok business accounts should utilize and take seriously. There is no other tool out there that will be more useful in growing your TikTok to the heights of the most popular TikTokers out there.
TikTok has made it much more convenient for brands and influencers to be successful on their social media platform. Make sure to take advantage of TikTok analytics and interpret your stats to grow your TikTok.