To become an influencer on TikTok, you must understand that the platform greatly encourages collaboration with other TikTok creators. Riding piggyback on the success of other creators is quite frankly one of the reasons TikTok is now the fastest growing social media network of all time.
TikTok has shaped its tools and features to inspire its creators to stitch or duet with other already popular posts to gain traction and exposure of their own. If you have not discovered the stitch edit feature yet, this short but informative read is especially for you.
In this article, you will get to learn the essentials of the TikTok stitch feature; how and when to do a stitch post, and what other features come with using the stitch feature on TikTok.
What Is a Stitch on TikTok?
A stitch on TikTok is a video editing technique where you add a previously uploaded TikTok video to your video post. This TikTok-native editing feature has been used by TikTok creators to get a point across with great effect.
The usual way TikTok creators use a stitch is when they deliver their punchline to the video that they stitch. This way, using a stitch does not give TikTok creators new content but also piggyback off the popularity and momentum of the TikTok video they are stitching.
A stitch is a brilliant TikTok invention that promotes collaboration and being viral. A caveat that you can easily use to your advantage is that you can only use 5 seconds of video from the TikTok post that you stitch.
Learning and mastering how to stitch a video on TikTok is a technique that can help you succeed on the platform and make your dream of gaining more TikTok followers come true.
What Is a TikTok Duet, And How Is It Different from the Stitch?
The main difference between a stitch and a duet is that a stitch plays videos one after the other, while a duet plays videos from two collaborators in a split-screen fashion.
A duet is similar to a stitch, in the same way, a stitch allows collaboration between two TikTok creators. The stitch and the duet see heavy use with TikTok creators, but not one or the other is more popular. Both the stitch and the duet have their use, depending on the point a TikTok creator wants to make.
A Step-by-Step Guide: How Do You Stitch a Video on TikTok?
TikTok is an app that has its native editing tools. A whole repertoire of filters, effects, stickers, and other features will not require a third-party editing program that will ask you to edit TikTok video posts outside TikTok.
Stitching is an exclusive TikTok editing feature that you should take advantage of. Here are the steps on how you too can make a TikTok stitch video post:
- Open the TikTok app on your mobile device.
- Look for a video on TikTok that you want to stitch.
- Tap on the Share icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- A popup menu will appear. Look for the Stitch icon on the bottom row of options.
- Tap Stitch. Tap on ‘Try it’ in the subsequent pop-up box.
- Trim the video down to the 5 seconds you want to use.
- Record your part that you want to stitch to the original video.
- Add effects, stickers, filters, and voiceovers to complete the idea of your TikTok stitch video.
- Tap ‘Next.’
- Add relevant hashtags and tag TikTok friends and videos. Add location and edit your visibility.
- Also, toggle off or on whether you want other TikTok users to comment, duet, or stitch to your video post.
- Choose which among your other social media to automatically share to.
- Finally, tap ‘Post.’
TikTok Stitch Video FAQs
Here are a few frequently asked questions about TikTok’s stitch video posts:
- Q: Can I do a stitch on a reverse TikTok video?
A: You can as long as the original creator has enabled other people to do a stitch on their post.
- Q: Why can’t I make a stitched video on some TikTok videos?
A: You can only do stitch videos on TikTok content that is less than 60 seconds long and has stitching enabled by the original poster.
- Q: Can other people stitch my stitch post?
A: Yes, they can as long as you have enabled the option for other people to be able to stitch your video post.
Stitch videos are a mainstay of any TikTok creator. Learn how to use and master the Stitch video post and maintain relevance on the TikTok platform.